One of the most common ways that we mark the passing of important dates or events in our culture is the sending of flowers as a commemoration or acknowledgment. There are times, however, when those well-intended arrangements can draw attention to things that we’d rather not publicize. Here are some of the most embarrassing reasons to receive flowers.
- Condolences After a Breakup – Getting flowers from your mom, sister or best friend after a nasty breakup is a very sweet gesture, but it can also be embarrassing if it sparks an awkward conversation with co-workers.
- Valentine’s Arrangements From Your Mother – No matter how close you are to your mom, if she’s the only person who sends you flowers to the office on Valentine’s Day, it can be a humiliating experience.
- Get Well Bouquets After Cosmetic Surgery –Many people who go under the knife for cosmetic procedures want to keep it under wraps. Having a huge Get Well Soon bouquet complete with balloons and facelift-humor greeting cards can be incredibly embarrassing.
- Birthdays – Some people simply don’t like to be the center of attention, but people who haven’t been completely honest about their age are likely to be utterly humiliated when a bouquet arrives at work with a brightly colored, shiny balloon floating above it, emblazoned with their real age.
- Apology Arrangements From a Spouse – While apology flowers can often be the quickest way out of the doghouse, it can backfire easily if catty co-workers make a big issue out of a little spat after seeing an apology arrangement perched on the desk.
- Pregnancy – Many people are hesitant to share pregnancy news with anyone other than family and very close friends in the earliest stages, which can make for an embarrassing predicament when a congratulatory flower arrangement arrives in front of baffled coworkers.
- Day After the First Date Arrangements Sent to Men – Though some men love to receive flowers from a woman, most seem to be of the opinion that receiving flowers under any circumstances is embarrassing; doing so after the first date is a surefire way to rub salt in that wound.
- Not-So-Secret Admirer – Many people have a slightly unwelcome, less-than-secret admirer in their lifetime. All to often, the person on the receiving end of that crush can find themselves at the butt of a few jokes about the situation, especially if the one carrying a torch has flowers delivered to work.
- Awkward Health-Related Problems – Get Well Soon flower arrangements are one of the most thoughtful and considerate things that someone can do for a loved one with health problems. That being said, a bouquet to show solidarity against the receiver’s hemorrhoids is sure to cause blushing.
- Anything Sent to Teenagers at School – Teenagers are an unpredictable lot, for the most part. However, one thing is certain: flowers sent for any reason by a parent or guardian to school are sure to cause paroxysms of embarrassment.
Before sending flowers to someone’s place of employment or school, it’s a good idea to carefully consider the implications. In many cases, the thoughtful gesture is appreciated greatly when the flowers arrive at home instead of in such a public setting.